Association of Missouri
Document Formatting Standards
Effective January 1, 2002
Document Formatting Standards
REQUIREMENTS FOR STANDARD DOCUMENTS
SIZE AND INK
- 8 1/2" x 11" paper
- White, light-colored, 20# paper without water marks or logos
- Printed in black or dark ink on one side only
- No continuous forms or permanent binding, but documents may be stapled for presentation
- Minimum 8-point type. (Note: Nonessential information within any margin exempt from this requirement)
- Signatures must be in black or dark ink to insure reproduction from record
- All signatures must have the name typed, stamped or printed underneath
- Attachments to a page may not be stapled or taped other than a securely attached bar coded label or than as required by law (Note: "Attachment" does not refer to an Exhibit, but additions to a document page)
- Top 3" vertical space of the first page only of each document is designated for the Recorder's certification. All Recorder's certificates will be placed in this area.
- All other margins on the first and subsequent pages will be a minimum of 3/4"
information contained with the
margins does not have to comply with
the 8 point type requirement, but it
should be noted that the Recorder is
not liable or responsible for
insuring that nonessential
information is archived.
Examples: page numbers, form numbers, return addresses, etc.
*Every document (except plats and surveys) containing any of the following items shall have such information on the first page of the document below the 3 " margin:
- Title of the document
- Date of the document
- All grantors' names
- All grantees' names
- Any statutory addresses
- Legal description
- Reference book and pages, if required
*If there is not sufficient room on the first page, the page reference within the document where the information is set out shall be stated on the first page. If one of the required fields begins on the first page and continues uninterrupted to subsequent pages, that meets the first page requirement.
- Grantors and grantees must be designated in order to be indexed. There is no limit as to combinations or exclusions, but must include the words "grantor" or "grantee".
- Statutory addresses must be designated, i.e. "Grantee's mailing address"...
- The address of the property shall not be accepted as a legal description.
- Book and page references required on certain documents, i.e., release deeds, assignments, etc. must be designated.
Exempt Document From TBE Formatting Requirements
*A cover page for the document is not required, but a filer may choose to present a cover page at any time. It will be recorded as the first page of the document. The cover page must have the 3 " top margin and include designated items in lieu of the document's first page.
*If a document is presented for re-recording, in addition to all other requirements, there must be a new first page or cover sheet with the top 3" and the required first page designations.
EXEMPT DOCUMENTS FROM TBE FORMATTING REQUIREMENTS
- Documents signed prior to January 1, 2002
- Military separation papers
- Documents executed outside the United States
- Certified copies of documents, including birth and death certificates
(Death certificates would need to be attached to an Affidavit that would need to meet the recording requirements)
- Any document where one of the original parties is deceased or incapacitated
- Judgments or other documents formatted to meet court requirements
- Fixture Filings on the National Approved UCC Forms.
|*Standard ...........................||Documents which meet both the statutory and formatting standards will have only the per page recording fee schedule|
|*NonStandard ....................||Documents, which meet the statutory, but, do not meet the formatting standards will have the per page recording fee plus an additional $25.00 per document penalty applied.|
|Exempt ...............................||Documents which by law must meet the statutory requirements, but are exempt from the formatting requirements will have only the per page recording fee schedule applied.|
NOTE: For a document that releases or assigns more than one item, there is a $5.00 fee for each additional item (Not permitted in Jasper County, MO)
All documents that are rejected must be returned with a reason for rejection. The Recorder's Association will develop a standard rejection form that can be used or adapted by any filing officer.