Information on Obtaining a Marriage License
1. Both prospective parties must appear together before the Recorder or her Deputy to make an
2. Both parties must be at least 18 years of age.
3. Both parties much provide photo identification showing legal proof of age. A govermental issued
photo identification, i.e., driver's license or passport, is required for this proof.
4. Both parties must know their Social Security numbers or provide the Social Security card. If a party
(or parties) do not have a Social Security number, that person or persons will sign application
indicating that they do not have such number.
5. If either party is under the age of 18:
a. Party must have a certified copy of their birth certificate AND photo identification;
b. Party must be accompanied by their parent or legal guardian at the time of the
c. Accompanying parent must provide their photo identification at the time of the
d. Legal documentation (i.e., such as divorce decree) may be requested for proof
6. If either party is under the age of 15:
a. A Court order is required for each party.
7. The application is valid for six months.
8. The issued license must be used within 30 days.
9. The issued license can only be used in the State of Missouri.
10. The issued license must be returned to this office if the wedding ceremony DOES NOT take place.
11. If the issued license is lost or destroyed, contact this office immediately at 417-358-0431.
12. The officiating officer (minister, clergy, etc.) is responsible for returning the issued license to this
within 15 days of the wedding ceremony. Penalty for solemnizing a marriage without a marriage license: Any person
who shall solemnize any marriage wherein parties have not obtained a license, upon conviction, shall be fined not
exceeding five hundred dollars, and in addition shall be subject to a civil action by the custodial parent or guardian.
(DEBIT AND CREDIT CARDS ACCEPTED.)
1. $51.00 license fee, if both parties are at least 18 years of age, PLUS $9.00 (see #4 below).
2. $52.00 license fee, if one party is under age of 18, PLUS $9.00 (see #4 below).
3. $53.00 license fee, if both parties are under the age of 18, PLUS $9.00 (see #4 below).
4. $9.00 fee for certified/legal proof of marriage copy. This copy will be mailed to the parties after the
license is returned to this office for recording. The original is then signed by the Recorder, recorded by a Deputy, and kept in the Recorder of Deeds office files permanently.
1. There is no waiting period.
2. Blood tests are not required.
3. Applications are taken Monday through Friday, except on holidays, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 P.M.
4. Location: Jasper County Recorder of Deeds Office, Annex II, 116 W. Second Street, Carthage, MO
(we are in the Sheriff's building--enter from the back of the building.) We are not located in the Courthouse.
5. If additonal certified, legal proof of marriage copies are needed, you may request such copies
through written request or in person. Written requests should be sent (Jasper County Recorder of
Deeds Office, P 0 Box 387, Carthage, MO 64836) with married parties' names, telephone number,
address where to mail copy(ies), and either a money order or cashier's check. NO PERSONAL
CHECKS. Cost is $9.00 each. You may also come in person to the Jasper County Recorder of Deeds
Office, Annex II (again, we are not in the courthouse).
Email : email@example.com